June 3, 2015
Foo Fighters are celebrating 20 years as a band this year so here are 20 things you need to know about them.
1. THE MOST BASIC OF ALL FOO FIGHTERS FACTS…
Dave Grohl was the drummer in Nirvana.
2. IN 1992, ONLY A YEAR AFTER ‘NEVERMIND’ WAS RELEASED…
Grohl released a cassette of songs which served as an early stage of the Foo Fighters’ development. It was called ‘Pocketwatch’ and was released under the name Late!
3. FOO FIGHTERS FORMED IN 1994.
They performed their first public show on February 23, 1995 at the Jambalaya Club in Arcata, California.
4. THEY GOT THEIR NAME FROM THE UFOs AND AERIAL PHENOMENA that were reported by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II, which were known collectively as foo fighters.
5. ALL INSTRUMENTS ON THE FIRST FOO FIGHTERS ALBUM… were performed by Dave Grohl.
6. TAYLOR HAWKINS WAS THE DRUMMER FOR ALANIS MORRISSETTE.
He joined Foo Fighters in 1997.
7. DAVE GROHL USED TO PLAY MUSIC FROM THE LIKES OF CIRCLE JERKS AND BAD BRAINS OVER THE SCHOOL INTERCOM.
He was allowed because he was Vice President of his Freshman class in high school.
8. FOO FIGHTERS LAST PLAYED THE GLASTONBURY MAIN STAGE IN 1998.
9. THE BAND HAVE RECORDED 3 ALBUMS IN 2 OF DAVE GROHL’S HOMES. “There Is Nothing Left To Lose” and “One By One” at his Virginia home and “Wasting Light” in the garage of his current California home.
10. THE LONGEST FOO FIGHTERS LIVE SHOW WAS JUST UNDER 3.5 HOURS LONG. It consisted of 36 songs and took place at the Fillmore in Charlotte, North Carolina.
11. THEY WERE JOINED ON STAGE BY JIMMY PAGE AND JOHN PAUL JONES (LED ZEPPELIN) AT WEMBLEY STADIUM IN 2008.
During that performance Grohl switched to drums, with Hawkins taking vocals. As Page and Jones left the stage, Grohl screamed: “Welcome to the greatest f***ing day of my whole entire life!”
12. THE FIRST BATCH OF ‘Wasting Light’ CDs INCLUDE PIECES OF THE ALBUM’S ANALOGUE TAPE MASTER.
If you were one of the first fans to pick one up, chances are it included a piece of the original analog tape the album was recorded on.
13. THEY WERE THE FINAL MUSIC ACT TO PERFORM ON THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN on May 20th, 2015.
14. THEY HAVE WON LOADS AND LOADS OF AWARDS: 11 Grammy Awards, 5 NME Awards, 4 Brit Awards, 3 Kerrang! Awards, 2 MTV Video Music Awards and 1 American Music Award.
15. THEY HAVE SOLD 15 MILLION RECORDS WORLDWIDE.
16. THE BAND’S TOUR RIDER IN 2011 CAME IN THE FORM OF A COLOURING BOOK. More info here
17. DAVE GROHL HAS AN ALLEY NAMED AFTER HIM IN HIS HOMETOWN (Warren, Ohio).
18. THE WORLD’S BIGGEST DRUM STICKS WERE MADE FOR DAVE GROHL AND WEIGH 900lbs:
19. PAT SMEAR, FOO FIGHTER’S ORIGINAL GUITARIST WAS ALSO THE SECOND GUITARTIST FOR NIRVANA WHEN THEY TOURED IN UTERO.
Pat Re-joined Foo Fighters as a touring guitarist in 2005 and as a full band member in 2010.
20.FOO FIGHTERS ARE HEADLINING THE SATURDAY AT GLASTONBURY 2015.
Take a look back over the years to see which songs were in the Top 10 on the Official UK Chart this week…Read more
This week we are taking a look back at Foo Fighters track “The Pretender”, one of the bands most successful songs.Read more
With a whole host of new playlists, channels and features approaching to celebrate the band’s fiftieth anniversary, our Artist of the Month for September is the mighty Earth, Wind & Fire.Read more
With this year marking the 30th anniversary of the epoch-defining ‘Loaded’, our artist of the month for August are the evergreen party starters, Primal Scream.Read more
With the mightiest metal masterpiece of them all, ‘Back In Black’, celebrating its 40th birthday this month, AC/DC are our artists of the month for July.Read more
There’s no denying that ‘Times Like These’ has taken on new resonance thanks to the charity version by Live Lounge Allstars.Read more
With a new deluxe edition of seminal second album ‘Gold Against The Soul’ on its way this month, our Artists of the Month for June are the Manic Street Preachers.Read more
Fifty five years on from his domination of the UK album chart with five albums in the top twenty, and with the Nobel Laureate once again releasing new music with ‘Murder Most Foul’ and ‘I Contain Multitudes’, our Artist of the Month for May is the one and only Bob Dylan.Read more
Foo Fighters were recently joined by a huge array of stars, from Rita Ora to Chris Martin, to deliver a special #StayHome performance of their timely classic ‘Times Like These’ for BBC Live Lounge.Read more
Epic careers are launched, coveted awards are won and charts are topped – it’s this week in rock…Read more