Artist Spotlight: Rag’n’Bone Man
June 15, 2022
This month our Artist Spotlight shines on the brilliant Rag’n’Bone Man. Here are a few things you might not know about him:
– Rag’n’Bone Man’s album, ‘Human’ debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart with sales of 117,000, making it the fastest-selling debut album by a male artist during 2010!
– He wrote ‘Skin’ after watching Game of Thrones: “You know when Jon Snow’s Wildling girl dies – I watched that and wrote the song the next day. It’s about when you’re that close to having something and it just goes.”
– Rag’n’Bone Man had retained a love for the blues as a result of his father’s record collection and at 19, encouraged by his dad, he sang at a blues jam in a local pub. He then started getting booked for acoustic gigs and encouraged, started focusing on his own projects.
– Did You Know his nickname is a nod to Steptoe and Son after watching repeats of the show as a teen. He came up with his early name of Rag’n’Bonez when he MC’d with a drum and bass crew, thinking it sounded like the name of a classic blues singer.
– He says, “I don’t really like to stand in one spot. People say that you have your lane or a certain type of music. I don’t believe that. You choose your own lane, whichever one you want.”