Artist Spotlight: Rag’n’Bone Man
June 15, 2022
This month our Artist Spotlight shines on the brilliant Rag’n’Bone Man. Here are a few things you might not know about him:
– Rag’n’Bone Man’s album, ‘Human’ debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart with sales of 117,000, making it the fastest-selling debut album by a male artist during 2010!
– He wrote ‘Skin’ after watching Game of Thrones: “You know when Jon Snow’s Wildling girl dies – I watched that and wrote the song the next day. It’s about when you’re that close to having something and it just goes.”
– Rag’n’Bone Man had retained a love for the blues as a result of his father’s record collection and at 19, encouraged by his dad, he sang at a blues jam in a local pub. He then started getting booked for acoustic gigs and encouraged, started focusing on his own projects.
– Did You Know his nickname is a nod to Steptoe and Son after watching repeats of the show as a teen. He came up with his early name of Rag’n’Bonez when he MC’d with a drum and bass crew, thinking it sounded like the name of a classic blues singer.
– He says, “I don’t really like to stand in one spot. People say that you have your lane or a certain type of music. I don’t believe that. You choose your own lane, whichever one you want.”
It’s the middle of January and the vibes are low. But don’t despair – here in the Spotlight office we’ve been cranking up the stereo and endorphins with these big hits that’ll get you through to Feb. It’s all daffodils from here.Read more
Today, January 17th, is Calvin’s birthday (and this year it’s a big one). So to celebrate the DJ, producer, songwriter, heartthrob and all round talent that is Calvin Harris, we’re shining our Artist Spotlight on some of his finest works!Read more
11th January 2024 marks FIVE years since Calvin Harris released ‘Giant’ – the mega-hit with Rag’n’Bone Man.Read more
This October, JLS kick off a huge run of dates at arenas around the UK, so to celebrate, we’re shining our Artist Spotlight on JLS!Read more
It’s been ten years since the release of Miley’s game-changing fourth record Bangerz which brought with it seismic singles, infamous music videos, and a headline-making live performance. In celebration, this month’s Artist Spotlight lands on Miley Cyrus!Read more
July’s Artist Spotlight is the wonderful Tom Odell, whose debut album ‘Long Way Down’ turned 10 years old in June 2023!Read more
This month’s Artist Spotlight is none other than Justin Timberlake, one of the world’s best selling artists!Read more
Today we celebrate Kelly Clarkson’s birthday by making her April’s Artist Spotlight!Read more